Footyalert

Footyalert. Powered by Blogger.
  • Efosa; the new golden boy at Rivers United

    Reporter: Unknown
    Published: Friday 16 June 2017
    A- A+
    Efosa; the new golden boy at Rivers United

    Sunday, June 11, 2017 is a day fans of Rivers United FC will never forget.

    On that day, the ‘Pride of Rivers’ shaped up to face high-flying FC Ifeanyiubah (FCIU) in an eagerly-anticipated Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) contest at the Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Port Harcourt.

    The visitors came into the game in good spirits and speculations were rife that United would suffer a first home reverse of the campaign in the hands of the ‘Anambra Warriors’.

    It was an even and well-fought game for most parts with FCIU more than often on the front foot as they made their intentions clear from the get go with United also giving as good as they got.

    It made for compelling football as cores were tied at 1-1 after well-taken penalties were traded at both ends in the second half with Bolaji Sakin and Prince Aggrey putting their respective spot kicks away with aplomb.

    Fans of United began to leave the stadium in droves as the fourth official signalled four minutes of additional time.

    FCIU looked solid, even at that point, seemingly full value for a share of the spoils……but then…..cue magic!

    Efosa Eguakun stepped up to the plate, scoring a stupendous goal, with just seconds remaining, to etch his name into Rivers United folklore, for ever.

    “I will not lie; I have never scored such a goal in my entire career,” Eguakun told our official website, www.riversunitedfc.com.ng 

    “I remember being in a state of confusion moments before the goal was scored.

    “But I was encouraged by my captain (Festus Austine) and coach (Stanley Eguma). 
    Efosa; the new golden boy at Rivers United

    “Nzube (Anaezemba) started the move and when I got the final pass from (Ifeanyi) Nweke, the only thought I had was to volley the ball as hard as I could. 

    “When it hit the back of the net, the feeling was beautiful. 

    “This goal means a lot to me because I heard so many stories after I signed for this club. 

    “Many persons said I was too old and could no longer play at this level,” he recalled sadly.

    The celebrations by the supporters, after the goal were furious and manic as Eguakun got mobbed by his teammates.

    An emotional moment, lapped up by the veteran! 

    More than a few eyebrows were raised when the attacking midfielder joined the ‘Pride of Rivers’ at the start of the current campaign.

    With many questioning the ability of the former Al-Merreikh man to cope with the rigours of Nigeria’s top division, he sent down dozens of humble pie down the throats of his critics by scoring arguably the most dramatic goal in the history of the club. 

    Predictably, he has been included in the match day squad of Rivers United’s NPFL game against Lobi Stars at the Aper Aku Stadium, Makurdi on Friday.

    United have yet to win away from home in all competitions this season but Eguakun believes they can take the monkey off their backs in Makurdi. 

    “I believe that people are expecting a lot from us in this game and that with their prayers, we can either pick up a draw or win. 

    “I am also appealing to all my teammates to play with their hearts because if we are united, we can achieve a good result. 

    “I will give my best whether I start or come off the bench,” he said. 




    Propellerads
  • No Comment to " Efosa; the new golden boy at Rivers United "