Footyalert

Footyalert. Powered by Blogger.
  • Uyo Stampede Denial, True Or False

    Reporter: Unknown
    Published: Tuesday 11 November 2014
    A- A+

    I'm stunned that some persons have chosen to say there wasn't a stampede at the Akwa Ibom stadium gate on the 7th of November 2014 during the official opening of the beautiful edifice in Uyo. There's a big difference when you see an event live and when you are told about the same event. 

    My Account. 
    Uyo Stampede Denial, True Or False

    I got to the stadium around 2pm on Friday 7th of November 2014 and the crowd I saw outside the stadium was massive. However, I was much
    concerned on how I'll get into the stadium after a long journey by road from Lagos to Uyo. 

    Immediately I got down from the cab i saw a lot of people walking to the stadium, I found my way to the gate after series of checks by the security. At the gate the securities inside the stadium kept telling the crowd outside that the stadium is filled and as such no one will be allowed in. Even while I tried to show the securities my identity card they kept telling the crowd to move away from the gate. 

    An elderly man came beside me and showed the securities at the gate his ticket (VIP) but one of the securities told him to go to the other gate, while this was going on the crowd had increase and I just had to go to the other gate as well. 

    At that point I didn't bother to take pictures because the only thing on my mind was to get into the stadium. By the time I got to the second gate I met another huge crowd. I felt since the stadium is filled it would have been nice for the organizers to erect large screens at strategic locations for fans who couldn't gain access into the stadium but the only obvious option to be part of the event is to go into the stadium.

    By the time I was allowed through the first gate after checks on my identity card the crowd had even increased but sincerely the only thing on my mind was to get into the stadium and run live update of the event. 

    The fans outside who thought the gates will be thrown open found out that they'll have to buy tickets to get into the stadium, those that got tickets stood by the gate hoping that the securities who said the stadium is filled up will open the gate. While the crowd kept increasing the gate was forced open and everyone wanted to go in at the same time, in the process some fell down while some stepped on those on the floor. The securities got the situation right back under control but it's obvious there was a stampede. The medics did respond well same as the securities too but I hope events at such a beautiful edifice should be well planned.

    I hope an improved plan will be put in place when South Africa visit the Akwa Ibom stadium on the 19th of November 2014?  

    I spoke with a lot of fans at the stadium who said they will love to see the game between Nigeria and South Africa live at the stadium. Some said they'll be at the stadium as early as possible to avoid the kind of stress they experienced on the official opening of the stadium. The indigenes are proud of the stadium and it's obvious that the crowd that will be at the stadium on the 19th of November 2014 will no doubt be massive. 

    I hope that a proper plan will be put in place to curb a reoccurrence. 






    Subjects:

  • No Comment to " Uyo Stampede Denial, True Or False "