Footyalert

Footyalert. Powered by Blogger.
  • Ofoegbu: My Choice To Play Football Caused A Serious Row. Between My Dad&Mum

    Reporter: 9jafootyalert
    Published: Friday 11 April 2014
    A- A+
    Ofoegbu: My Choice To Play Football Caused A Serious Row. Between My Dad&Mum

    Skipper of Falconets to the 2012 FIFA U-20 world cup, Gloria Ofoegbu is hungry for glory at international level, having won all that is available to be won at the domestic scene,she now focuses on winning the African Women championship (AWC) and qualifying for the World Cup .

    The Rivers Angels of Port Harcourt defender told
    Super Falcons media officer GRACIOUS AKUJOBI in this interview that her decision to take football as a career led to serious disagreement between her parents, but at the end her father had his way and her mother who did not want her to play football because she felt football is not for women had no choice but to back her choice of career.

    "I have achieved virtually everything with my club Rivers Angel FC,what I want now is to win the African women championship (AWC) and the World Cup with Falcons"

    "I have always had this vision where I see Falcons winning the World Cup and I assure my self that I will be part of that team.I have been praying about it and I believe it will materialize" She said.

    The no nonsense defender whose petite size does not deter her from taking on attackers says though her team pays her well,administrators of female football should desist from rating female football low in Nigeria.

    "Female football is rated very low here.They keep saying it is still developing,that is why they pay us meager salary as compared to what our male counterparts earn.Meanwhile,we do same training as the men.It is high time they started paying us well".

    On why she has not moved abroad to play after her superlative performance at the last U-20 World Cup in Japan,Ofoegbu said she fell into the hands of dubious agent and now wants to take her time before moving to Europe.

    "I had offers after the World Cup in Japan but my agent then was not a straight forward person .I travelled to the Netherlands for trial and to eventually sign for a Club unfortunately for me the arrangement my agent made with the club was not authentic"

    "I have been having offers from so many agents who want me to be their player but I don't want to rush into signing any deal with an agent just yet.

    The fourth child among eight siblings from Imo State says if not for her father who gave her all the support she would have abandoned football as a career because her mother hated and discouraged her from playing football.

    "My dad was different.He volunteered to drop me off at my training venues and even bought me jersey,booth,chin guard,canvass e.t.c when I started playing just to encourage me.He was my backbone.But when my mum saw there is money in football she started encouraging me" she stated.

    As the Super Falcons are in camp now preparing to qualify for another African Women championship (AWC) Ofoegbu says she believes in her team mates as they are ready to redeem the image of Super Falcons.

    Subjects:

    Super Falcons
  • No Comment to " Ofoegbu: My Choice To Play Football Caused A Serious Row. Between My Dad&Mum "