Footyalert

Footyalert. Powered by Blogger.
  • Amobi Ezeaku: Agony In Churchgate

    Reporter: Unknown
    Published: Thursday 11 June 2015
    A- A+
    "In the pain, the agony, and the heroic endeavours of life, we pass through a refiner's fire, and the insignificant and the unimportant in our lives can melt away like dross and make our faith bright, intact, and strong".
    James E. Faust


    Photo credit - +FIFATV 

    I write with agony in my soul. Agony deposed to at Christchurch Stadium, Christchurch New Zealand. Agony similar to the one felt in the garden by my Master. The heart is heavy. 'My heart is agony'.


    Before and after the kick-off of the FIFA Under 20 World Cup, I was amongst those faithful Nigerians who believed in the Nigerian Flying Eagles. We are out. But I still believe in this team.
    We had the self-belief, the go-go spirit, all-action posture and assured capacity to get this assignment executed.

    Before the tourney proper, my all-round support for the team even appreciated when Coach Manu expressly stated that: "It is the trophy or nothing. We are here for the cup, and we will play with the spirit and yearning of a world champion team".

    I was awake on the 1st day of June, 2015 to see us take on the Young Selecaos of Brazil at the Stadium Taranaki, New Plymouth. We lost 4-2 to the Brazilians. My faith was never shaken, altered nor doubted. I told all who cared to know that we would bounce back.

    Three days later, we came back to Stadium Taranaki again, bounced back and pounded Korea DPR. The 4-0 defeat of Korea DPR on 4th of June brought the lost confidence against the Brazilians back. We were good to go.

    Hungary vs. Nigeria. Again, I placed all I had on the table on 7th of June, 2015. Before the game my friend Awoniyi had promised he would get two goals by God's grace. Just before the 6am Sunday mass was over, we were two goals up courtesy of Taiwo Awoniyi's double efforts.

    Just then... The Germans!!! I was excited. I believed in the Flying Eagles. I still believe. My dislike for the abrupt Nike jersey deal and the neglect of Player Obinna Nwobodo notwithstanding, I still believed.
    I kept believing even when Germany scored after just 19 minutes when Levin Oztunali drove home a left-footed shot from the edge of the box.

    We were going to bounce back I said to my brother Barr. Nonso. Alas! We never did.
    Tears! Agony! Grief! Disappointment! Name the word.
    My phones kept ringing, buzzing and vibrating. Hmmm.
    We are out of the FIFA Under 20 World Cup but believe me, everyone who made it to New Zealand deserved to be there.

    Virginia Woolf was right when she stated that "on the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points".
    I'm that observant fellow. I point.

    Musa Muhammed, Joshua Enaholo, Dele Alampasu, Olorunleke Oko, Taiwo Awoniyi, Zaharaddeen Bello, Bernard Bulbwa, Chidera Ezeh, Saviour Godwin, Akinjide Idowu, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Kelechi Iheanacho, Success Isaac, Ifeanyi Matthew, Abdullahi Mustapha, Onyinye Ndidi, Chidiebere Nwakali, Prince Omego, Moses Simon, Kingsley Sokari and Musa Yahaya - Well done to you guys. You gave in your best. In football, you win some and you lose some. Dry your tears Flying Eagles.

    To the technical crew and backroom staff - I know how hard and well we prepared but in football, you face certain hazards. Losing is one of them. Bravo Coach Manu, Coach Ugbade and Fancy.
    As the Flying Eagle's come back to Nigeria, I wish the team a safe flight back home and urge them to take time out to visit injured mercurial Obinna Nwobodo.
    Pleage keep your faith bright, intact and strong.

    Subjects:

  • No Comment to " Amobi Ezeaku: Agony In Churchgate "